Friday, January 23, 2015

Newest Additons Part 3: HC4600 and N800



The second and third toy actually came in the same package so I will combine these for this part. I have a friend who found and sent me a Sharp HC4600 and a Nokia N800. Now, I wasn't able to play with the Nokia for a bit since it needed a charger, so I will talk about the Sharp first, but there won't be much to say on that one sadly as I broke it.

How did I break it? I was trying to change the cells in the battery pack, and I could have sworn that I had the polarity right, even checking it a few times, but when I put it all back together, I smelled that all too familiar smell of broken electronics. I let the magic smoke out of it. I am still a little sad but since the battery was shot and a new one was 60 bucks, I am not that sad really.

The Sharp was a Windows CE based PDA, known to many as a "Handheld PC" I have talked about these before I am sure, as I have a NEC MobilePro 780, as well as a Sigmarion III, but this isn't about them now is it? There wasn't a whole lot to really say about it ether in my opinion since I used the software many times, and the keyboard, while usable, wasn't amazing by any stretch of the imagination.

It did have a color screen, and as stated, a NIMH battery pack. It ran on Windows CE 2, using a MIPS processor I believe running at 75MHz. It didn't have much memory, and only a single PCMCIA slot for expansion unlike the NEC which has that and a compact flash slot, or the Sig III which has SD and CF. So like I said, there isn't much I can add on this one.

The next device that also came from my good friend Nathan is a Nokia N800. This is the second model, and second to last model, of the internet tablet series they had. This one needed a charger, and since the pin is VERY small, in trying to find one before ordering one, I ended up bending a contact inside of the socket.

So, while it is loose, it will charge if the cable is at an angle. I can replace the jack without even touching a soldering iron, since it uses a spring contact instead. I am going to wait until it completely breaks before I even attempt at opening it, and even then, I am not sure I want to risk breaking anything more than it is worth.

This is an interesting device since, like the Dana from Part 1, it also has dual SD slots. It runs on a version of Memo Linux, with 256MB of RAM. I will say that it isn't blazing fast, and while the browser is based on Firefox, I didn't have much luck getting it to load websites that I check to well. I have however found that it is perfect for playing mahjong, which is one of my favorite time killing puzzle games for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment