Monday, July 18, 2011

An Introduction and Spotlight On My Old Macintosh


Hello, I'm James Khoury, fellow nerd and retro enthusiast. The 1990s is my main focus as, being a growing kid back then, that's when computers happened to seem most exciting to me.

For my first post, I'll let everyone here have a gander at an ongoing project I started earlier this year. It's a circa 1994/1995 Macintosh Performa 630CD. It packs a powerful 33mhz Motorola 680LC040 cpu (68040 without an FPU), 36mb memory, 720mb hard drive and runs Mac OS 7.6.1. Since getting it, hard drive has been replaced as has the original cooling fan which was too loud for it's own good (definitely a nasty noise will spoil such a pretty machine). I use it for various documents as well as MIDI files and old games. However, my main reason for keeping it around is pure nostalgia. This computer is very similar to the LC575 systems that were in most classrooms of my elementary school.

Also, in the photo of this machine, there's another computer visible. It's black. Props to whoever spots and accurately identifies it before my next post.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting! :) Welcome to Classical Computing.

    ReplyDelete